Monday, May 16, 2011

We’re all in this together

Remember a couple years ago when you couldn’t turn on the Disney channel without hearing about High School Musical? Well I just met the girl who played Taylor McKessie. That’s right, call all the 12 year olds and tell them the news, because they’re the only ones who will care or be jealous.

In all seriousness though Monique Coleman (Taylor’s real name) is an amazing woman, she’s also the first ever UN Youth Champion. If you didn’t know August 2010 – August 2011 is the International Year of Youth, and to celebrate that Monique is travelling the world to inspire youth and encourage dialogue and mutual understanding.

Last week she started her tour of South Africa. I happened to play a major role in planning all of her events, high school visits, and media exposure so I was invited to one of her tour days. Of course I was invited as an intern which meant I spent my time trying to juggle a still camera, video camera, take notes on all of her speeches, and answer any and all questions without skipping a beat. Not to mention, I was expected to write a full report afterwards that will be sent to headquarters boasting of the good work that UNIC Pretoria did. Don’t worry; I will be given no credit when it is dished out. :)

Anyway the day I was assigned to accompany Monique was being hosted by the US consulate. We started at a high school in Johannesburg where she met with a group of 8th graders. She talked about the importance of being confident and facing challenges in our lives. The 8th graders were probably more interested in her alleged relationship with Corbin Bleu (which is false by the way), but she spoke to my soul. I was going through a hard time that day and looking back on what she said it turned out to be advice that I desperately needed.

From the high school we went to the consulate building where I was asked to endure US security measures. People should probably feel uncomfortable when they’re asked to spread their legs and are promptly searched head to toe, but I was too excited about the American accents and the promise of being introduced to important people to care.

Sure enough, before lunch was over I had met the public affairs officer and the consul general. They both told me how impressed they were with my internship and other things I have done at such a young age. It was a good and timely ego booster. They also gave me all kinds of advice on how to get in with the State Dept. and other profitable employment focused on international politics and development, and more importantly how to get stationed outside the US. The consul general even gave me a hug and a wink before I left. Moral of the story: I may have a future after all, let’s just wait and see. (Please no jokes about old men hitting on me)

After that we went to visit more high school kids and talk about how “our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” (Marianne Williamson, one of my favourite quotes)

All in all it was a good day. I got to hang out with someone who is almost famous, her talent manager showered me with compliments, I got tons and tons of business cards from uppity up people, and I realized that I don’t need to be half as hard on myself as I usually am.

3 comments:

  1. I love this story and your whole blog. WORK WORK WORK, FUN FUN FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I can't believe someday I'll be able to say, "Yeah, I knew Jari before she was famous."

    ReplyDelete