Friday, April 8, 2011

I am lost

I am severely and irrevocably directionally challenged.

First, an ode to Gus-Gus the Nissan: Better known as Gus, you are the only car I’ve ever loved. Together we have seen wonderful places, visited grand cities, and made magnificent memories (like the time you got that bird stuck in your grill at Misty’s wedding). Yes, you are a great car. A bit temperamental at times, but I forgive you for that. You are missed you wonderful Nissan you.

I truly miss the independence of being able to drive myself around. I also miss my GPS because I only got lost about 36% of the time with its help. But alas, both my car and my GPS are far from me now. My new ride is an old city bus with doors that don’t shut all the way, so it whistles as we drive. It’s awesome and you’re jealous. You don’t have to tell me, I know.

I was scared to death to ride the bus here. Everyone told me I was stupid to do it, that I would get lost, get mugged, or some other terrible thing would happen. BUT THEY WERE WRONG! I found the bus stop, I boarded the right bus, I paid the right amount without revealing my wallet or cell phone, and I took a seat. Home free I thought! That’s when I started to let my mind wander. I think that might be my main problem. Have I ever told you stories about when I was little and I got lost a lot? It was mostly because I would get distracted by toys, or swimming pools, or dogs, or older kids, or other things and forget where I was or what I was doing.

Wait, what was I talking about?

So after 20 minutes on the bus I started to think we should have passed my stop already. We had. So I freaked out and the bus driver let me off in the middle of nowhere, pointed to two different bus stops, and told me to take whichever came first. Ok Mr. Bus Man, I’ll do just that. I know this place like the back of my hand, not. Then a man got off right after me and started calling to me. Great, this is the part where I get mugged, raped, and killed all in one stop. Brace yourself, Jari.

He actually turned out to be really helpful. He showed me where to wait so I could see both busses coming. He waited with me. He told the new bus driver that I’m a stupid, lost American girl who needed to be dropped off at the hospital, and then went on his way. I know I forgot to say it at the time, but thank you kind stranger!

So I finally found the hospital, got off the bus, and walked the two blocks home. I made it completely safe, just a little hungry. The bus itself wasn’t even scary. If you want a scary bus ride I suggest you visit Guatemala. That will change your life.

1 comment:

  1. Jari you are the bravest person I know..I was having a panic attack just reading your post..you will be in my prayers, because I want you to be safe...but it sounds like you got things under control..big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete