Thursday, April 14, 2011

UNIC, Jari speaking

The internship. That’s the whole point of being here, right? So it seems that something should be said.

To be honest, I was bored to death at first. Spending two hours looking at newspapers and then surfing the web for the next six isn’t really that stimulating, but progress has been made. At the end of last week I was asked to develop my own work plan. I was told I could include anything I wanted to learn, or anything that I thought may be useful in the office. Intriguing.

So after playing with the idea of telling them that I should be a special envoy sent throughout all of Africa (and of course hitting all the tourist spots along the way) I came up with something that is actually productive, and turned it in. Since then I have been trained how to update all web articles, how to draft and send UN Newsletters to appropriate audiences, I have been given access to UN Pretoria Twitter and Facebook accounts and manage them (social media for a job, genius!), I am creating an itinerary for Monique Coleman’s South Africa visit (eat your heart out High School Musical fans), and I’m in charge of all contact with prospective interns. I still have way more free time than I’m used to; and I still have to do the mundane photocopying-like tasks that always seem to crowd the desk of an intern, BUT it’s progress. Also they keep telling me how ambitious I am, and that I’m such a great worker. So, at the very least, I’ll get a lovely letter of recommendation at the end of this shindig.

Though, I can’t help but think that the hours I spend with nothing to do could be spent outside exploring. There are some touristy things I want to do that require company and time, and I have neither. There is a way to remedy this though. I was promised time off if my family came to visit. I was even told of some cool places to take them. So everyone, please peer pressure my mom into coming to Africa, and bringing the little brother along. I promise to return the favor some day.

In other news, when I'm at work is when I am most aware of my "competitiveness." I'm kind of cut-throat and a little bit mean to the other interns. Because all of our work is presented as a team I get penalized if they do stupid things. So I end up playing the captain of the ship role. I read over everyone's work to make sure that it's presentable and get a little agitated if it's not. I also find myself having to explain the easiest concepts. For example: how to play a youtube video, how to type with more than just my index fingers, how to search for news articles from a certain date using Google News, etc.

On top of everything I have this strange compulsion with indoctrinating everyone in the ways of the American Dream. "Come on girls, pull yourselves up by your bootstraps. If you try hard you can do anything!" Yes, I'm seriously that girl. I'm a firm believer in it though. So never fear America, I may tease your food and some of your customs but in my heart of hearts I love you.

3 comments:

  1. You rock Jari! and those girls need the American dream. Sadly, no one probably ever even tried to instill it in them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you please come be my personal intern..you are amazing and they are so lucky to have you..If your mom can't come..How about me and Lexie..oh how I wish...keep living your dream..your good at it..Big hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean you would spend 20 hours of travel time in the air to come and see me? I'm flattered! You and Lex are always welcome, I would be honored ;)

    If not, maybe I'll just have to come out your way some time. I've never seen Northern California if you can believe it.

    ReplyDelete