Monday, August 20, 2012

Mission Log: 20 August 2012


So another week in Jersey. Everyone has fevers and is dying. It's adorable. Seriously though, everyone is sick. We had to take one of the sisters to the hospital this week. She wasn't happy about it. Do not tell a missionary that he or she is not allowed to work, it just leads to anger. It was fun though, we got to know the staff really well and she was in there with a bunch of other Spanish speaking patients and she made friends and told them all about Jesus. It was good...I just wish she would get better. Being sick is the worst. 

But, despite illnesses (I'm totally fine by the way, just playing apartment nurse and I annoyingly ask "how do you feel" every five minutes, they love me) we had a week full of miracles. We kept running into people and the exact time that they needed us. We stopped a man from drinking himself into oblivion and were able to answer his questions about God. We made friends with more of the members in our ward. It was a good week. Sometimes, no, wait, almost all the time, things aren't spectacular or glamorous. BUT being a missionary is really happy. I just love people. I love them, then I tell them about how God loves them. I serve them. I do what I can to be a good person and I encourage others to do the same. It's a happy life and I'm grateful it's mine. 

I'm starting to understand how precious individuals are. They are important, and they need to be loved. 

As sister missionaries in New Jersey we also volunteer at the family history center on Ellis Island. It's pretty exciting. We get to help people find long lost ancestors and listen to stories about their families. We just love them and help them and it's great. Except for this week all the power went out...so there was no family history program to help with. Instead the head lady decided that I needed to better understand what happens at Ellis Island so that I'll be more useful in helping the family history center people. So Sister Lowry and I ended up on a tour...and then we took a couple wrong turns and ended up in old abandoned laundry service centers and old communicable disease wards...just another day in the life :) 

I hope everyone is happy and healthy and enjoying the end of summer. 

All my love,
Jari

No comments:

Post a Comment