Friday, November 2, 2012

Mission log: 02 November 2012 (Hurricane Sandy Addition)



So...there was a hurricane. I wasn't really too worried about it because,  let's be real, I'm no stranger to hurricanes. But my companion was a little scared so we were smart and did the whole buy food and prepare the apartment thing...no mattresses in the closet though. Anyway,  Sunday night we got a call from our zone leaders so that we could report our emergency plan and while talking to them I realized that we live SO close to water. We ended up being evacuated. Party, right? So we were given 15 minutes to pack up everything we would need and get out of Jersey City. So we've been in Morristown for the past few days with the sisters who work there and also the New Brunswick sisters (hna Lowry) who also got evacuated. 

We weren't allowed out of the house for a couple days, and we're not allowed to go back to our area until the gas shortage let's up. So...now we're working in Morristown. We've mostly been rocking the yellow Mormon helping hands shirts while we clear trees out of yards and other hurricane clean up. Today we'll get back to normal teaching and we should be back to our area sometime soon. 

It's been interesting having 6 sisters  crammed into one tiny apartment. I've learned a lot about diligence and about accepting God's will. I'm grateful for the relationships I'm establishing on my mission. 

All I have to say is that Mother Nature is angry. She's waiting for the coming of her Lord.  

In other news, Brenna Kate, happy birthday!!! I sat up in my bed this morning and said "happy birthday Bren, I love you!!" I'm sorry I haven't been able to send your birthday card yet, blame Hurricane Sandy, but know that I love you and am thinking of you. Happiest birthday, love!

Hope all is well where you are. 

All my love,

Jari

So, I have a little more e-mail time than I anticipated so I thought i'd tell you some stories about the hurricane.

So the first night we had to steal mattresses from the elders apartment (they had all been moved to the mission home) so picture it. 6 sister missionaries, the night before a hurricane, hauling 3 mattresses through the muggy humid air at 10 at night. Such a sight. People kept stopping us and asking what we were doing to prepare for the storm. 

Then we were told to buy food because we were going to be trapped inside for 2 days....so we bought frozen pizzas, cheese, milk, and other perishable foods...bad idea. They all went bad as the power went out, good thinking on our part. 

On the first day of clean up we met the most incredible family. It was a young grandma and grandpa and their 30-something son with his 2 children. We found out that the 30 year old man had lost his wife 2 years ago and that the storm had completely destroyed everything he owns. It was so sad. But we helped the grandparents who had trees fallen on every side of their house and we got the 2 kids involved. The kids were so happy at the end of it, and a the grandpa told us we were a blessing in disguise. I told him that we aren't in disguise at all. We're wearing bright yellow shirts and a the name of Christ on our hearts. He agreed with me and we were able to give him a pass along card. I just want everyone to experience the peace and joy of the gospel.

2 comments:

  1. So good to hear from you, Jari, and know that you're safe and sound! LOL on the perishables! And how long have you lived in Florida?!! You'll be able to move mountains with those 'helping hands' shirts on! The Lord is with you all the way and you are in our constant thoughts and prayers! Sending you good wishes!
    Love and Blessings,
    The Weaver Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs Jari..So glad your doing so well..thanks for sharing..lots of Love your way!! mamalawson..

    ReplyDelete