Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Mission Log: 3 December 2012




So it's December now. Weird how fast that came up. It's been a great week. Crazy in every sense of the word, but great. We have been involved in so many Christmas programs already, and it's barely the first few days of December. We've also been finishing up our last bits of hurricane clean up.

This week we went back to Union Beach and were helping people part ways with every earthly possession they've ever had. It's a weird feeling to try a pry a wet, moldy, broken beyond repair yard doll out of the hands of a sobbing woman who has just lost everything. She can't have it...it's poison to her, but all I want to do is let her bask in all the happy memories associated with it. So that was my Saturday. Stomping around in sewage and mud, gutting houses, trying to help throw away all the things that were being confused as salvageable. Natural disasters really do a number on people, and it breaks my heart. We even saw a house that was half way blown away. It's just so devastating. It's been over a month and it's still just a sorrowful sight.

This week I have learned the importance of being a good friend. Be the type of friend that invites others to be their best selves. Lovingly invite others to change their lives when it's needful. Be uplifting and positive. Choose to be happy. On my mission I have made some of my greatest friends. I am grateful for who I am becoming thanks to their encouragement. Everyone deserves such loving and helpful friends, so be one!

No comments:

Post a Comment