Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Mission Log: 25 Feb 2013


Everything crazy. My life is everything crazy. I am still with Sister Petersen and now I'm training and we've added Sister Garn to the mix. Sister Garn is one of the first of the younger missionaries, she just turned 19 in September, and she is a rockstar. Being in a trio is interesting and comes with it's own blessings and challenges as does everything in life. In the few days we have been together it has been incredible to see how well we work together and how our personalities complement one another when we are all focused on our purpose: to help others come unto Christ. 

It also feels like we run into more ridiculous than ever before. The other day we met a random Portuguese woman who fed us take our chinese food and told us all about how top ramen is the duct tape of food. It was hilarious. 

I also find it really interesting how Heavenly Father chooses when and how to bless us with little tender mercies. I may only be half Brazilian and I may not speak Portuguese very well but I LOVE everything about Brazilians and Brazilian culture. This week we ended up teaching a sweet little Brazilian woman. I barely had both feet in her door when she had already kissed both my cheeks and was still just holding me in a tight hug. It reminded me so much of my dad that I almost burst into tears right then and there. Then she made room for us in her small house and had me sit right next to her on her bed. She held my hand as she told stories and went on about how Portuguese is the greatest language and everyone should learn it. She asked us to sing a hymn for her and she cried through the whole thing. There was so much emotion bursting from this small woman that I couldn't help but be in awe of her. I am a woman of passion. I love that I can feel a range of emotions. And I love this woman for trusting me instantly and for letting me be a complete part of her world for the 45 minutes that we sat in her home. She and I are friends for life. 

I know that Heavenly Father is perfect aware of each of his children. He knew that I needed to be reminded that it is okay to be a little bit crazy, really loud, and everyone on the spectrum of emotions. I am so grateful that he would grant me such a wonderful opportunity. 

I hope you're having a great day. 

Love,
Jari

No comments:

Post a Comment