Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mission Log: 22 April 2013


My friend Pablo was baptized yesterday. It was one of the greatest moments of my life. Meeting and teaching Pablo and his daughter Romina has been like finding part of my family. They are so dear to my heart and it was such a wonderful experience to see him all dressed in white ready to make a promise with God. Yesterday was one of the best days I’ve had in New Jersey.

The interesting thing that I noticed was that despite it being such a wonderful day and despite being able to share it with people whom I love so much I still found a way to be stressed. All throughout church I was thinking about lists of things I needed to get done. Print the program. Practice the musical number. Make sure everyone gets dressed on time. Set up the chairs. Fill the font. Greet people as they come in. Make sure that the people giving talks show up. Find the person who is supposed to be conducting. Take pictures. Get everyone in their seats. There’s no microphone so make sure people can hear. Thank everyone for their help. Do this. Run there. Fix that. Give him something to eat. And all the while still try to feel the Spirit. It wasn’t until the baptism was over that I ever had a chance to actually enjoy it. I decided there is so much wisdom in the Savior’s command “peace, be still.”

 I know myself, and I know that it is very difficult for me to be still. I’m a doer. I like to be in a constant state of motion. If I’m not doing something I get fidgety. But I hope that I can learn to be still, to be quiet and to recognize that there is joy to be had and miracles to be recognized if I will just take the time to appreciate them.

There are lots of things that I know I need to improve on, and I’m glad Heavenly Father gives me a life time to try and figure things out, repent, and try again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment